The wonders of tumeric milk
It’s that time of year again when everyone around is trying their best to fight off colds, flu and the January blues. Much has been said about the benefits of drinking turmeric milk, or ‘Golden Milk’ as it’s also known. The curative properties of turmeric have lent it to be used as a spice in Indian recipes and in medicine in Ayurveda for thousands of years. It’s a both a powerful antioxidant and potent anti-inflammatory, it has antibacterial and antiseptic properties, can help with relieving pain from oestoarthritis and recent studies have even shown that helping treat depression.
This is a drink that not only tastes delicious but offers an abundance of health supportive benefits to for the body and is particularly beneficial to drink during the winter months to give an added boost to support of the immune system.
Follow this very simple recipe using ingredients that can all be found in our shops.
- 1 can coconut milk, (or try almond, macadamia or organic full fat milk)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried turmeric or ½ inch fresh turmeric, peeled and chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger or ½ inch fresh ginger, peeled and chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of your best local honey
- *optional 1 teaspoon local honey
- Place milk and water in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the tumeric, cinnamon, ginger and ground pepper and stir, allowing the liquid begin to simmer.
- Continue stirring to blend ingredients together.
- Turn off the heat, cover the saucepan and allow to sit for around 10 minutes - letting the mixture infuse and enhance the flavour.
- Stir in the honey.
- Serve warm and save the rest for later!